Walt Disney World – not just for little kids!

Over the years, I’ve heard so many people make excuses for not visiting Walt Disney World.  Some of the most popular seem to be:

• “My kids are too old for Walt Disney World.”
  • “All of the attractions seem to be for younger kids.”
  • “My teenager isn’t into the characters anymore.”

I’m sure you’ve heard (or maybe even made) similar excuses.  Well, I am here to tell you they are just that – excuses! Walt Disney World is for everyone, not just for kids!

Ashley (age 5) with Snow White

Ashley (5) with Snow White in 1999

My oldest daughter is now 18 (she first visited WDW when she was 5).  She has thoroughly enjoyed each and every trip that we have made! She still remembers those early trips and wants to see and do the things that we did then.  But, she also wants to add to the fun by adding new attractions and sights to our “must do” list.

She still likes to meet the characters (even if it means waiting in line sometimes). She’s usually one of the first to ask to visit a certain character spot or character meal.

In response to the above-listed excuses, I’d say:

• Nobody is ever too old for Walt Disney World.  Remember the old commercial where the daughter heads to college and the parents head off to Disney World?
  • Many of the attractions are very educational in nature.  Things you maybe didn’t think to do with your younger kids – like Carousel of Progress at the Magic Kingdom and the World Showcase Pavilions at Epcot – are things that older kids will understand and appreciate.  (If you’re a homeschool family, you’ll find many of the attractions at Walt Disney World to be great starting points for further research in the areas of science, history, and/or writing.)
  • If your teenager isn’t into the characters anymore, they’re probably into peer pressure!  The  truth of the matter is, I don’t think anyone ever outgrows the characters and the magic that is Walt Disney World!

Ashley (15) with Pinocchio in 2009

So, I’d encourage you to plan that Disney trip, even if your child resists at first.  Get him/her involved in the planning – buy a few Disney planning  guides, visit some Disney websites, and start making some lists.  I’m sure you’ll find your child has a great time – and you’ll be making family memories that will last a lifetime!

In future posts, I plan to share some of those attractions that teens seem to like most, as well as book ideas, websites, etc. that you might want to share with your teens.  If you have ideas, please feel free to send them my way via e-mail.  I’m more than happy to share your great ideas, and will credit you as well!

9 comments for “Walt Disney World – not just for little kids!

1. Ellen Gerwitz
    16 December, 2011 at 2:12 pm

My husband made his very first visit to WDW for our honeymoon at the age of 22 and he has been a fan ever since! WDW is great for kids, but it’s also great for adults, too. The older my kids were, the more enjoyable it was for everyone. :-)

• disneymomheidi
      16 December, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Ellen~ I was almost 18 when I made my first trip to Walt Disney World and I loved it! So, I totally agree – it’s definitely as much for adults as kids. Maybe even more so, really.

2. 16 December, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Heidi, I agree. The memories created seems to always out weight the ‘I’m too old for that ‘ syndrome. I believe once they have begun they will want to share those memories with their families for years to come. We have always have learned something new, every trip. This next one we are participating in the Homeschool days literacy week and the education science classes they offer. Everything inlife is learning I say. Why not have fun while doing it.

• disneymomheidi
      16 December, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That’s so cool, Mindy! Glad you are able to take part in those extra things. We already had our trip planned before I realized those things were even going on. Maybe I’ll get to see you for a second or two again.

3. 16 December, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You are right! I haven’t been to Disney World in ages and some of your photos so make me want to go again. My kids would love it:) I have a friend who goes all the time, and her kids are grown!

• disneymomheidi
      16 December, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I hope you get to go sometime, Heather. It’s such a neat family vacation because there truly is something there for everyone, of every age.

4. 16 December, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I agree, WDW is tons of fun for all ages:) I have visited at ages 7, 15 and 17 and loved every time. We haven’t been able to take our kiddos yet, but hopefully we can this next year. I can only imagine how excited they’ll be:)))

• disneymomheidi
      16 December, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I recently applied to be a Disney Travel Agent. Maybe I can help you plan your trip! :)

5. 2 January, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Hi Disneymomheidi,
    I know what you mean, My husband and I are taking our kids to Walt Disney World in February 2009. I want to take my little girl to the My Disney Girl Perfect Princess Tea Party. Is there anything similar to that that my son could do with his dad?
    Cheers