Learning about Disney Before and During Your Vacation
As a homeschooling mom, I am constantly looking for opportunities to educate. I appreciate how easy it is to fold Disney into our everyday learning opportunities as we prepare for our upcoming trips. During our vacations, we continue our studies. Whether attending Youth Education programs (YES) or studying the landscape at Art of Animation, we are always learning.
Recently another homeschooling mom asked for ideas to incorporate into her family’s homeschool day, many Disney fans chimed in with their favorite education tips:
- We went to Disney in December and we studied the countries of EPCOT and their holiday traditions. ~ Basye Family
- I also made a list of the different countries. Typed up various questions…type of government, geographic location, climate, art, etc. various things depending on child’s age. The Cast Members working in the various stores are from that country. I had my daughter ask them a couple questions if they were not too busy. ~ Lehrfeld Family
- Wilderness Explorers – Animal Kingdom has a badge program where you go on a scavenger-like hunt and look up different information. (example:Birding)
- We did the Behind the Seeds Tour at The Land. (and if you have a Disney Visa, you get a discount). Then we had dinner at the Garden Grill to sample some of the food grown that we saw on the tour. The tour goes over the 5 basic needs of plants, how to control pests, and hydroponics. We released some lady bugs. ~ Hochstetler Family
- Create a Disney lapbook – choose from a variety of topics like movies, rides and books. ~ Cooper Family
- For printables, crafts and more (lots more) – search for Disney Homeschooling on Pinterest
- Attend a YES class – students learn in small groups with Cast Member educators and enjoy many behind the scenes activities.
For more ideas on including Disney in your child’s education before and during a Disney vacation, visit the original article in HomeschoolingWDW.
How have you incorporated Disney into your schooling? Share your best tips in the comments.
PirateMomPenny enjoys helping others plan their Disney vacations (click to find out how she can help your family) and writing about how her family enjoys their Disney vacations at Scouting-WDW.com, TheDisneyMoms.com and HomeschoolingWDW.com
Born and raised in the south, I now live in central New Jersey. My days are filled with homeschooling, reading, and ministry work. My son and I are active members of our local church and enjoy camping with the Boy Scouts of America.
We believe everyday is a day to celebrate and if you visit our kitchen, you will find us putting sprinkles on everything from pancakes to ice cream! Between baseball games and scouting trips, we enjoy dreaming about our next Disney vacation.